With its name meaning ‘The City of Dawn’ is a township located 8 kilometers from Pondicherry. It was founded in 1968 by Sri Aurobindo and Mira Alfassa and was designed by the French architect Roger Anger. The idea was to create a universal town where people from all over the world would live in harmony and peace irrespective of caste, color, nationalities etc. During the inauguration soil from around 124 was placed in a lotus shaped urn to symbolize the idea behind the establishment of the township. The middle of the town is crowned by a temple which symbolizes the universal mother and is called ‘Matrimandir’. Today a population of 2,007 people houses the colony from over 44 different countries.
A spiritual community established at Pondicherry by Sri Aurobindo Ghosh on November 24th 1926. The ashram has since become one of the prime destinations for tourists and spiritual seekers. The chief aims and ideals of the ashrams are based on the teachings of Sri Aurobindo and Mira Alfassa. The ashram contains several offices, a library, a printing press, playground, art gallery, a dispensary/nursing home, dairy, farms, guest houses, bakery etc. the main building in the establishment are the marble Samadhi which is the resting place of Sri Aurobindo and Mira Alfassa. The visiting hours are from 8 am to 12 noon and from 2 pm to 6 pm.